How to use the spectrum analyzer of the TV Signal analyzer
The spectrum analyzer is a basic function in field strength meters. Since many professionals are accustomed to use basic analogue equipment they don’t get the most from the professional spectrum analyzers built in HD RANGER and RANGER Neo analyzers.
This article will go over the basics of this tool.
- How to start and customize the spectrum analyzer
- How to move around the spectrum moving the joystick LEFT or RIGHT
- How to change the spectrum reference level using the joystick
- How to use the touch screen in the spectrum analyzer
- Tips & tricks for the spectrum analyzer
How to start and customize the spectrum analyzer
Pressing the key depicting the spectrum analyzer gives access sequentially to the three screen designs that adapt to the user preferences. The user can switch screens at any time while maintaining the cursor position and the analyzer configuration.
These are the three interfaces of the spectrum analyzer:
- SPECTRUM 1/3: RF graph displaying the measurements of the channel located under the cursor and a status bar showing the decoder information.
- SPECTRUM 2/3: The decoded image of the television is overlapped and the sound is decoded.
- SPECTRUM 3/3: It is the basic mode, which displays the RF graph in full screen. Very useful to align antennas.
How to customize the spectrum analyzer of the field strength meter
How to move around the spectrum moving the joystick LEFT or RIGHT
The joystick’s behavior depends on the indication of the icon drawn in the upper right corner. Pressing the joystick allows switching among one of these two behaviors:
This icon depicts the behavior of the joystick in the spectrum analyzer mode: FR or CH alters the frequency or channel the cursor is located at. SP modifies the SPAN width.
- Whenever the icon shows FR or CH, moving the joystick left and right the cursor will scroll respectively by frequency or by the channels defined in the current channel plan.
- When the icon shows SP the SPAN will be increased or decreased.
How to switch among frequency or channel tuning?
Pressing F1 will give access to the Tuning menu. Use the joystick (or the touch screen) to move the cursor to the option “Tune by” and choose “Channel” or “Frequency”. You can also change the current channel plan from this menu through the “Channel plan” option.
How to manually enter a frequency?
Pressing F1 will give access to the Tuning menu. Whenever we are tuning by Frequency, we can change the “Central Freq.” (central frequency) by manually entering a frequency in MHz units.
How to switch between tuning modes and how to manually set a frequency
When a digital or analogue channel is present where the cursor is located, the analyzer identifies it and automatically decodes it with no need for the user to specify any parameter. To do so, the equipment must operate under SPECTRUM 1/3 or SPECTRUM 2/3 modes.
How to change the spectrum reference level using the joystick
To increase or decrease the reference level of the graph, move the joystick up or down respectively.
How to use the touch screen in the spectrum analyzer
Most of the HD RANGER and RANGER Neo analyzers from PROMAX have a touch screen that eases the spectrum analyzer operation because three gestures give access to the whole set of most common options:
How to use the touch screen to control the spectrum analyzer
- Swipe left or right the spectrum analyzer to move the graph.
- Tap a position of the spectrum to place therein the cursor.
- Swipe up or down the graph to change the reference level.
- Tap the SPAN label to change the zoom level.
- Tap the SPECTRUM 1/3 label to switch screen modes.
Tips & tricks for the spectrum analyzer
Now you know how to control the spectrum analyzer of PROMAX analyzers, this is the moment to discover its professional functions:
- Reference traces
- Tutorial: Locating satellite beacons
- Utilising the triple split display to speed up work
- Using the touch screen in spectrum analyser mode
- Minimum and maximum hold
- Antenna alignment curtain mode and markers
- RF device alignment using high resolution filters and markers
PROMAX is a leading manufacturer of test and measurement systems, broadcast and TV signal distribution equipment. Our product lines include measuring instruments for cable TV, satellite TV, broadcast, wireless and fibre optics networks, FTTH and GPON analyzers. DVB-T modulators, IP streamers or IP converters (ASI, DVB-T) are among the company’s latest developments.